I’m always on the lookout for a great quote about exploring and travel.
I love getting some inspiration about newer and richer experiences in this big and beautiful world!
So I decided to create my own list!
Whether you are looking for exploration quotes about unknown lands, adventure quotes, or simply the wisdom gathered from inspirational quotes; I think my list of 60+ Inspiring Quotes About Exploring and Traveling the World covers it all.
Here’s to finding new secret destinations, exploring the world and its many foreign streets, and generally gaining a newer and richer experience starting with these awesome quotes about exploring! Happy travels!
While on some of my many foreign adventures, I have been lucky enough to have firsthand encounters with some of the most famous locations from the silver screen!
Sites such as Lara Croft’s tree in Cambodia, James Bond Island, and of course, the epic Maya Bay featured in The Beach.
So before you set off on your next adventure, it seemed like a wonderful way to kick off our 61 quotes about exploring from some of the most famous movie classics!
1. “I’m going on an adventure!” – Bilbo Baggins, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
2. “Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?” – Mad Max, Fury Road
3. “Now bring me the horizon….” – Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
This is my favorite quote about exploring and never fails to remind me that in this wonderful world we live in, the horizon is always ahead of us!
4. “Some journeys take us far from home. Some adventures lead us to our destiny” – The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
5. “The core of a man’s spirit comes from new experiences” – Christopher McCandless, Into the Wild
6. “Adventure is out there” – Charles Muntz, Up
7. “The world is not in your books and maps, it’s out there” – Gandalf, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
8. “I love waking up in the morning, not knowing what’s gonna happen, or who I’m going to meet, where I’m gonna wind up” – Jack Dawson, Titanic
9. “I want adventure in the great wide somewhere” – Belle, Beauty and the Beast
Another one of my favorite quotes about exploring! For anyone looking to escape life, whether it be close to home or a thousand miles away, I reckon “the great wide somewhere” is a fabulous place to start!
10. “Paris is always a good idea.” – Audrey Hepburn, Sabrina
11. “There’s no place like home” – Dorothy, The Wizard of Oz
In this indefinitely wild and wonderful world we live in, it can be easy to lose sight of the important things…
This is precisely why I wanted to include some of these short exploring quotes as a reminder of all the hidden gems, new oceans, and wonderful adventures: past, present, and future!
12. “Exploration is curiosity put into action.” – Don Walsh
13. “Live your life by a compass, not a clock.” – Stephen Covey
Unfortunately, time marches on, so to really make life extraordinary, I am definitely taking this advice!
Given we have all had limited opportunities to travel during the pandemic, my gladdest moment will definitely be jumping on a plane to make up for some serious lost time in search of my next adventure.
14. “Oh, the places you’ll go” – Dr. Seuss
15. “You need mountains; long staircases don’t make good hikers.” – Amit Kalantri
16. “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
17. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustav Flaubert
18. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
Anyone who knows me will know I am very rarely speechless! But having been lucky enough to live life across multiple countries, I have often been left in awe of the fantastic people, places, and cultures I have experienced.
As a result, there is always a story to tell and laughs to be had, which is why I had to include this fabulous quote about exploring on my list!
19. “A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.” – Lao Tzu
20. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries” – Aldous Huxley
21. “Jobs fill your pocket, adventures fill your soul” – Jaime Lyn Beatty
This is one of my most inspirational explore quotes as it aligns so closely with my own life!
For anyone who doesn’t know me, I spent many years (before settling into my semi-retired wanderlust life!) creating and developing my own lifestyle business.
This has given me an amazing opportunity to spend time with my family & friends and travel to my heart’s content! This is probably why I love this quote about exploring so much!
22. “My favorite thing to do is go where I’ve never been” – Anonymous
23. “If it scares you, it may be a good thing to try” – Seth Godin
24. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone” – Neale Donald Walsch
25. “You don’t have to be rich to travel well. ” – Eugene Fodor
Some of the most amazing and fulfilling travel experiences I have had have all been on a budget (if not free!) Of all the explore quotes I have come across, this really is one of the truest.
26. “Every exit is an entry somewhere else.” – Tom Stoppard
It’s always nice to see how the other half live! And when it comes to travel and explore quotes it’s not just Henry David Thoreau and Michael Palin who like to weigh in!
Here are some of my favorite quotes about exploring from some famous names… enjoy!
27. “I just wish the world was twice as big and half of it was still unexplored” – David Attenborough
28. “Don’t tell me how educated you are; tell me how much you have traveled.” – Mohammed
29. “All that is gold does not glitter; just as not all those who wander are lost.” – JRR Tolkien
30. “Once a year, go somewhere you have never been before.” – Dalai Lama
Unfortunately, this one had to be put on hold for the last few years, for obvious reasons!
However, I still love the sentiment.
Human life only happens once, so it’s great to remind ourselves to push the boundaries and always try something new!
31. “Great things are done when men and mountains meet.” – William Blake
32. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
33. “Make voyages. Attempt them. There’s nothing else.” – Tennessee Williams
34. “I never knew of a morning in Africa, when I woke up and was not happy” – Ernest Hemingway
Hemingway really knew how to embrace exploration! In fact, he was such a fearless adventurer when he went to Africa, that a couple of newspapers ran his obituary (after his second… yes, second plane crash) when in reality he had survived both and was living it up on safari!
For me, this is one of the top explore quotes simply because everyone has this special feeling about a place they have traveled to. For Hemingway, it’s Africa; for me, it was India.
I hope I can find this feeling in a whole heap of new places in the future!
35. “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life” – Michael Palin
36. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
Anyone who has wanted the freedom to roam and step away from all that familiar comfort of the homestead, should definitely check out this explore quote!
Life is just one big adventure, and I think the only true failure is if we don’t try and jump on board for the ride!
Here’s to the next adventure!
37. “To move, to breathe, to fly, to float, to gain all while you give. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
38. “Wherever you go, go with all your heart” – Confucius
39. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Throughout the global pandemic, it’s been really tough for those of us with the travel bug.
Although we are not totally out the other side, the world seems to be getting back on track, and hopefully, moving forward, the only fear will be fully booked flights!
To keep us all going strong, I have picked out some of my favorite inspirational explore quotes to keep the faith for an incredible year ahead! Happy travels!
40. “Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit.” – Frank Borman
41. “Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” – T.S. Eliot
42. “We were meant to explore this earth like children do, unhindered by fear, propelled by curiosity and a sense of discovery. Allow yourself to see the world through new eyes and know there are amazing adventures here for you.” – Laurel Bleadon Maffei
43. “The freedom of the open road is seductive, serendipitous, and absolutely liberating.” – Aaron Lauritsen
I am a firm believer that wandering re-establishes our sanity! And there is nothing like seeing the open road (both real and symbolic!) ahead of you.
I just love the excitement of a new adventure which is why I absolutely had to include this quote in my top 61 explore quotes!
44. “We only know a tiny proportion about the complexity of the natural world. Wherever you look, there are still things we don’t know about and don’t understand. […] There are always new things to find out if you go looking for them.” – David Attenborough
45. “It’s in those quiet little towns, at the edge of the world, that you will find the salt of the earth people who make you feel right at home.” – Aaron Lauritsen
I could not agree more with this awesome quote from Lauritsen!
Having been in Asia for some time now, this quote really hits home for me.
Whether it’s a remote fishing village in the middle of the Andaman Sea or a teeny mom-and-pop shop down one of the winding side streets of Bangkok, it is always the beautiful people here who make my day!
Unending kindness and always greeted with an enormous grin… it really is the people who make travel adventures so incredible.
46. “Life is an experiment in which you may fail or succeed. Explore more, expect least.” – Santosh Kalwar
47. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world” – FreyaStark
When it comes to quotes about exploring, this one is up there!
Although it’s not too often I wake up alone (given I usually have hubby, daughter, and sometimes the dog with me!) I still find it great to open the curtains to a brand new vista!
The anticipation of exploring, trying new food, and even getting hopelessly lost, is a fab feeling.
I am super excited to catch up on tons of travel and see as many new places as possible on my next adventure!
48. “Better to see something once than hear about it a thousand times.” – Asian Proverb
49. “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” – Lin Yutan
This explore quote is so accurate! There is always that “ahhh” feeling when you lay your head down in your own bed.
However, I must say, it felt pretty good laying my head down on my cruise around HaLong Bay a few years ago too! (see pic).
As a real travel junkie, I always find the familiarity of “home,” wherever that may be, very comforting. Still, usually, it’s not too long before I am ready to jump back into wanderlust life once again!
50. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail,” – Ralph Waldo Emerson.
51. “There’s a sunrise and a sunset every single day, and they’re absolutely free. Don’t miss so many of them” – Jo Walton.
52. “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark” – John Muir
53. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in an office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain” – Jack Kerouac
54. “It feels good to be lost in the right direction” – Anonymous
55. “I can’t think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything” – Bill Bryson
56. “We do not take a trip, a trip takes us” – John Steinbeck
57. “I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” Robert Louis Stevenson
58. “The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land, it is at last to set foot on one’s own country, as a foreign land” – Gilbert K Chesterton
59. “I travel… therefore I am humbled” – Judy Gurney
60. “Travel isn’t always pretty, it isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s ok. The journey changes you – it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you…Hopefully, you leave something good behind” – Anthony Bourdain
61. “I want to fly away” – Lenny Kravitz
Exploring the world is such a grand adventure and an incredible way to enjoy life!
I hope this collection of quotes about exploring and traveling the world has inspired your wanderlust, given you some great content to use and encouraged you to consider your ongoing journey.
Whether you are a daredevil, beach bum, or culture buff the possibilities are absolutely endless!
I hope these 61 explore quotes have given you a little bit of inspiration and that the 2020’s bring you some amazing travel adventures!