Welcome to Episode 56 of Make it Happen Monday!
In a 1996 essay, Bill Gates speculated, “Content is where I expect much of the real money will be made on the internet.” Of course, brilliant man that he is, Bill was right on target. Content is by far the most important part of any online business.
Whether you produce videos like these, blogs, courses, social media posts, webinars, quizzes, or anything else, your content is what draws your audience in and creates a connection to your brand.
But even though we all know the importance of content, it can be hard to keep up.
We want to produce content day in and day out, but it’s just not always possible to come up with a constant stream of ideas.
Instead of burning out, you can repurpose the content you already have to reach a broader audience.
In this week’s Make It Happen Monday, I’m talking about how to create multiple pieces of content in one sitting.
[Tweet “How To Create Multiple Pieces Of Content In One Sitting. Check out this weeks episode of Make it Happen Monday #MIHM”]
Watch Episode 56 Here
Read Episode 56 Here
Welcome to another episode of Make It Happen Monday.
Last week we talked about getting traffic to your website. If you missed this, then please go and watch it as it will help you choose the traffic strategies you want to focus on this year.
This week, we’re following on from last week, and we‘re talking about repurposing content to gain free traffic.
It’s about how to take one piece of content and repurpose it into a multitude to different types of content so you don’t have to do the work more than once.
Becoming a Prolific Content Producer
We discussed last week that, in order to get free traffic, you need to become a prolific content producer.
But creating content takes a lot of time.
For example, I’d love to say it takes minutes to create these videos I do every Monday. It actually takes AGES!
Yes, a lot of that is due to the fact that I insist on recording outdoors, but it takes me ages to set up all the lights, make sure the camera is right and the direction is good, the audio is working, testing all the different bits etc.
To be a prolific content producer by just creating these videos, I would need to be recording all the time!
Instead, I can choose to repurpose this video so I create more than one piece of content, but I only have to do the actual ‘work’ once.
An example of repurposing content
Let’s use this very video as an example. So after I finish recording this video:
1) I will turn it into a YouTube video. So the first piece of content is a YouTube video using YouTube’s own content strategy and search facilities.
2) I will take this YouTube video and place it on my blog. In other words, I create a video post using this video.
3) I will have the video transcribed, and it will turn into an easy to read, usable blog post. That becomes a written piece of content. (I choose to place this written content right under the video, but you could choose to take this copy and use it to produce a blog post all on its own some months later. The choice is yours.)
4) I take small excerpts from this transcribed blog post, and I post it as Facebook posts.
5) I take even smaller ‘tweetable’ quotes from the blog post, and post it as tweets on Twitter.
[Tweet “Get creative and turn one piece of content into 10! See how here… “]
6) I use these tweetable quotes and create images from them, and these become content pieces both for the blog and for social media, such as for Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter.
7) I then extract the audio from this video and it is uploaded to iTunes to go on my podcast.
8) I also create mini video segments from this video, little excerpts from the video which can then be put on Instagram, Facebook video etc.
I don’t have to finish there! I’m sure there are other ways I could create content from this one video.
I could create a nice little radio station, such as on Spreakr, and that could be another content piece.
As I’m recording this video, I can stream it live onto Facebook Live. That would be another piece of content.
Why Repurpose Content?
To get good amounts of free traffic, you need to be a prolific content producer.
You can do this by creating brands new bits of content every single time. But that would be time consuming and exhausting!
When you repurpose content, you are essentially taking once piece of content and turning it into 8-10 pieces of content or more!
Content that you can distribute out through the web and start to pick up that free traffic through having that prolific presence on your social media platforms.
But that’s not the only advantage. By repurposing content in different formats, you reach different people in the modality they prefer to consume content.
Not everyone wants to watch videos. Some people like to read. So you have the transcripts of blog posts for them.
Some people want instant visualisation, so you have images for those people.
Some people want shorter videos, so you give them mini video segments.
Some people prefer to hear rather than watch, so you give them audio.
It’s all about reaching people in all the different ways they prefer to consume content. Taking one piece of content and turning it into many different pieces of content is extremely clever!
And, of course, if there is a funnel at the end of all this content, you can send paid traffic to the content that tends to be consumed the most, and then people can sign up and come through your funnel. We’ll discuss this further in a later video.
Your challenge this week, should you choose to accept it, is…
Start repurposing your content:
1. Find a piece of content that you have already created
It doesn’t matter whether it is a video, blog post, podcast…..whatever!
Just choose a piece of content you have created previously.
2. Now, turn this content into a minimum of 5 different pieces of content
Use my examples above to get ideas on what types of content to create.
3. Get out there and distribute these ‘new’ pieces of content around the web!
What else can I do?
See the comments below? I’d love to see your repurposed content! Post the links to your content below. Let me see your images, audio, podcasts, blog posts or videos etc.
Also please share with your friends if you think this Make It Happen Monday episode has been useful!
In the meantime have an amazing week, live life on purpose and Make It Happen.